Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dealing With Injuries

WARNING: This post might be a bit boring, but I feel like I've been M.I.A. from fitHAPPYness and I have a good reason that has left me with nothing to blog about.

I'm sure anyone who loves fitness as much as I do will agree with me when I say, "Injuries SUCK!" Why am I so insanely bitter? Well... I am basically bouncing off the walls with energy because I've been cooped up since I got back from Montana with a hip injury :(

While on my morning runs in Montana, I started to feel a little bit of hip pain, which I attributed to the fact that I usually hoof it out on the treadmill, and my body probably wasn't used to the dirt roads. Boy, was I wrong!

After my first run in Montana, my hips were feeling really achy before bed, so I took it relatively easy for the rest of the trip, reducing my mileage significantly from the amount that I should have been running according to my half-marathon training plan.

When I got back to Wisconsin, I went to the gym the following morning to burn off a little bit of the pizza and ice cream that I  scarfed down with my family during my trip (I swear, my dad and brother can put junk food away like it's nobody's business!).

I hopped on the treadmill first, and my hips were immediately in intense pain! I stopped and walked for a little bit, then decided not to push it and headed home. When I got home, I went online and researched my pain. After a ton of research, I am pretty confident that I have an IT band injury. I've been taking it easy for the last five days, which is why I've been M.I.A. from this blog!

Lack of exercise combined with a big weekend of eating (my best friend Britta's birthday weekend AND Memorial Day) has left me feeling sluggish and just plain BORED. The good news is my hips are feeling much better and I think I'll finally be able to slowly start working out again tomorrow morning :)


1.) Has anyone else recently suffered an injury? How have you overcome it?


2.) What's your best way to deal with injuries/setbacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment